Coaching for Open Source Communities 2.0
Coaching for Open Source Communities
Why Expendables movie as cover?
- Not because of the movie name but for the people
- Examples of different kinds of people working together
- Everyone has a specific role
- And specific useful tools
- Everyone is easy to reconize for his role
- Everyone "doesn't" have problems in doing their tasks
- They trust each others
- The boss is a leader
- We are not soldiers
- We are volunteers
- Co-Founder & CTO of Codeat
- Mozillian, Mozilla Reps (2 years inside Reps Council), Mozilla Tech Speaker
- Mozilla Italia Participation Team
- WordPress Italia - Project Translator Editor & Core Contributor & WP Roma Co-Organizer
- ClassicPress - i18n team lead & Founding Committee Member
- Industria Italiana del Software Libero
The coaching way
- Coaching is not only to help others but also you
- Focus on Skills not the Person
- Learn to delegate and thrust the people around you
- Talk to people with motivation in mind (Guide or Excite)
- Let to the people to talk and ask for help
- Guide, don't Judge
- Create confidence
- GROW Model
- Goal: what is your goal?
- Reality: actual situation with bad and good facts
- Options: define few solutions
- Wrap Up: recap and define a way
- Define the problem, What you want to achieve, Propose few options, Recap and create a plan
Coaching for open source in action
The 🇮🇹 Italian Coaching Way
Enjoy the results
Coaching for OS community
- Everyone works together
- You are not an usual member but a veteran of the community
- Know your community status and the people of your community
- Define the best way for members to do a community
- Find propositive people during the activities
- Ask them to join discussions
- Be transparent about decisions
- Don't forget to say thank you
- You are a volunteer like the others
- Organize a schedule before the meetings and share it
- Prepare activities with examples/documentation
- Create rules, policies and workflows with the community
- Presence on social networks
- Ask always for feedbacks
First coaching experiment for you
- What are you working on?
- What else should be included?
- What is the challenge?
- What do you want?
- How I can help?
- If you say yes to this solution, what you lose?
- What was useful for you?
- See from different point of views
- Split in different section
- Write everything that you can forget
- Do a plan with dates
- Document examples about the improvements and why
- Ask for feedback to others